The International Summer School Program (ISSP) provides students with an opportunity to complete one (1) compulsory or optional credit in a classroom setting tailored to their specific language needs. International Summer School classes allow students to improve a wide range of skill sets and learning skills within a Canadian school environment.
The ISSP program offers four (4) credit course options:
1. Learning Strategies for International Students (GLS10 – Grade 9 credit) This full credit course teaches students to develop and apply their literacy and numeracy skills, personal-management skills, as well as their interpersonal and teamwork skills to improve achievement in school. This course also helps students build confidence to pursue opportunities in secondary school, the workplace, and beyond.
2. Literacy Skills – Reading & Writing (ELS20l – Grade 10 credit) This full credit course is designed to help students strengthen their reading and writing skills, providing them with additional literacy support in order to graduate secondary school.
3. Careers (GLC20 – Grade 10, 0.5 credit) July 16th – 27th The 0.5 Careers credit course teaches students how to develop and achieve personal goals for future learning, career planning and community involvement.
3. Civics (CHV20 – Grade 10, 0.5 credit) July 3rd – 13th The Civics 0.5 credit course explores the rights and responsibilities of being an active citizen in a democratic society. Students will explore issues of civic importance, such as community planning, environmental responsibility, healthy schools, and the influence of social media. Students will also develop their understanding of political processes in the local, national, and/or global community.
4. Religious Education – Introduction to Catholicism (HRE20 – Grade 10 credit) The full credit Religious Education course invites students to explore the Gospel values and social justice principles that guide Catholics in understanding their role in our community, and what it means to be human, created in God’s image. Connections between the Church and how Catholic faith is infused in our contemporary culture are also explored.
Please note: Class availability is subject to change.
Summer School Details
Date: July 2 – 25, 2019 (Monday to Friday)
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 1:50 p.m.
Location: Corpus Christi Catholic Secondary School
HCDSB Course: $1,750.00 – Includes Ingle Medical Insurance
Homestay & Activity Package: Homestay arrangements and afternoon activities will be organized through Nacel Canada. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
How to Apply
New International Secondary School Students
- Complete an International Student Summer Program admission form
- Submit your payment (please contact email@example.com for payment information)
- Email the 2 completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: We maintain the right to cancel the ISSP prior to its start due to low enrolment.